Everybody’s a writer, but not everyone writes what others want to read, you know, on the beach. Or a long flight. Or waiting in line at parent pick-up.
This week, for example, I put pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard on a variety of subjects, none of which will get me on Oprah.
• Press release announcing candidacy for a local Newtown woman, smart, successful, local community organizer and professional fundraiser Rebekah Harriman-Stites, running for Connecticut state representative because act local, think global and we women need representation in office. Any office. Especially an office filled with middle aged, mediocre white men.
• Email to Amazon slamming them for supporting, and promoting fear-driven NRATV, even when another school gets shot up and families destroyed and communities devastated because of:
- Choreographed marketing of fear by the NRA.
- Bought and paid for Congress who offer nothing but hopes and prayers each and every time this happens. Note to Congress: hopes and prayers ain’t working.
• Thank you letter to Dick’s Sporting Goods on behalf of Newtown Action Alliance, families, communities impacted, and gun violence survivors, for doing what Congress will not: instilling limits on who can purchase what weapons of war.
• Thank you note, on behalf of Newtown Action Alliance, to major Florida GOP fundraiser, Al Hoffman, Jr., who decided he will no longer support candidates who do not support a ban on assault weapons. Period. Well done, Al. Can I call you Al?
Calls to action to email, call or somehow “Contact your State Representative”
• I do it. When I can and when I care. I emailed my current state rep here in Connecticut, Tony Hwang, and my town rep Mitch Bolinsky (who, for locals keeping score, the above mentioned candidate Rebekah Harriman-Stites is running against), about the hate slandering of a Chief Justice nominee Andrew McDonald in CT who is the target of ultra-conservative smear campaign focusing not on his experience, but instead on his sexuality. Can you even believe this is necessary in 2018? WTF.
• Oh yeah, multiple work emails like everyone else with a real J-O-B.
• And this blog post. Just this one.
This is writing. This is doing. What are you doing?