Starting off the New Year with a long list of goals is a recipe for failure. Dry January? Who does such a thing?
If one more person says, “I’m on a cleanse” I’m gonna cleanse all over their shoes.
Just don’t. At least not in January.
Why start life changing habits on one of the longest, coldest, darkest months of the year? 31 days of the gym? No thank you. 31 one dry days – after constant partying and festivity and hot toddy and nog and bubbly? Veggies and low-cal, no carb, no fun blender food after a couple months of bacon sandwiches and cream cheese and hot sauce?
February is a short month, and the perfect time to begin again with personal, professional, whatever you’re aiming for goals and challenges.
If January was a bust, then have no fear, February is here.
All the ambition do-it-yourselfers, good luck to you.
For me, I’m, as always, aiming low to keep it real and just maybe, attainable.
- 10,000 steps for 100 days. Goddamn fitbit. But January wasn’t a bust, so I’m still at it. #10ksteps100days. Started January 1st. Done April 11th. Just keep walking.
- Write a blog a week. How hard can it be?
- Call/email politicians instead of bitching on facebook or twitter.
- Get outside. Out of doors. Outdoors. I am a better person after taking a hike. Or walk. Or couple breaths.
- Act local. Go to a couple meetings and find out how to make my town a better place.
- Be grateful. I gotta find 5 things every day. Ten if it’s a good day. Look for the good. It’s there.
This is my itty-bitty list for the itty-bitty month of February. Just maybe it’ll last. We’ll see. If not, there’s always next month. Or the one after that. Or the one after that. And if you get knocked down, just get up again.
Gabi Coatsworth says
Good piece – but I got it 2 days ago…
Kate Mayer says
tech-challenged. lots of posts waiting in limbo, posted not posted? who knows. I probably have a viral post sitting in limbo someplace. Or that’s what I tell myself.